Seasoned life sciences intellectual property attorney and adjunct professor of law with more than 20 years of in-house and private practice experience. Extensive experience serving clients ranging from individual inventors and startups to world class research universities and Fortune 500 companies.
- Domestic and international patent and trademark applications
- Global patent and trademark portfolio strategy and management
- Intellectual property due diligence
- Intellectual property opinions and counseling
- Drafting and negotiating intellectual property-related agreements
- Inventor education and invention disclosure management
SCIENTIFIC AND TECHNICAL EXPERIENCE
- Recombinant nucleic acids and proteins
- Gene delivery and expression systems
- Cellular and molecular biology
- Vaccines and therapeutic antibodies
- Biomanufacturing processes
- Small molecules and formulations
- Pharmacology and physiology
- Agricultural biotechnology
- Microfluidic systems
- Next-generation sequencing
- Medical devices
- Cannabis-related products and processes
- Mechanical devices
- Consumer products
See Case Results for examples of how I have helped clients protect and commercialize their innovations, from independent inventors, to start-ups like Lexaria Bioscience, Advanced Liquid Logic/Illumina, and Dynogen Pharmaceuticals, to multinational corporations like Wyeth Vaccines, and Syngenta Biotechnology.
Other clients have included: Becton Dickinson, LabCorp, Counsyl, Genia Technologies, Redbud Labs, Avioq, Cotton Incorporated, Johns Hopkins University, Duke University, NC State University, Wake Forest University, UNC Chapel Hill, and Emory University.
Ergenzinger Intellectual Property Law, Raleigh, NC. Founder and Principal, 2009-2010, 2021–Present.
Lexaria Bioscience Corp., Kelowna, BC. Chief Legal Officer and Senior VP of Innovation, 2018–2020.
FisherBroyles, LLP, Raleigh, NC. Partner, 2016–2020.
Olive Law Group, PLLC, Cary, NC. Counsel and Life Sciences Patent Attorney, 2014–2016.
Ward and Smith, PA, Raleigh, NC. Counsel and Life Sciences Practice Group Leader, 2012–2014.
Duke Human Vaccine Institute, Durham, NC. Director of Intellectual Property & Legal Affairs, 2010–2012.
Alston & Bird LLP, Raleigh, NC. Associate, 2002–2009, Summer Associate, 2001.
Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice PLLC, Winston-Salem, NC. Summer Associate, 2001.
Rhodes & Mason PLLC, Greensboro, NC (Now MacCord Mason PLLC). Patent Agent/Law Clerk, 1999–2001.
Wake Forest University School of Law, Winston-Salem, NC. Juris Doctor, 1999–2002.
- Co-Founder (2000-2001) and Editor in Chief (2001) of the Wake Forest Intellectual Property Law Journal (now the Wake Forest Journal of Business and Intellectual Property Law).
- ABA/BNA Award for Excellence in the Study of Intellectual Property Law (2002).
- CALI Awards for Excellence in the Study of: Education Law (2001), Health Law (2000), Patent Law (2000), and Legal Research & Writing (2000).
Wake Forest University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Winston-Salem, NC. Doctor of Philosophy in Neuroscience, 1994–1999.
- National Institute of Mental Health Predoctoral Fellowship (1997–1999).
- Sigma Xi/National Science Foundation Grant-in-Aid of Research (1997).
Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC. Bachelor of Arts in Biology and Psychology, 1990–1994 (cum laude with honors).
- Beta Beta Beta Biological Honor Society (1993–1994).
- Psi Chi Psychological Honor Society (1993–1994).
- Presidential Scholarship for Distinguished Achievement in Music (1990–1994).
OTHER PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Over 75 scientific and legal publications, including articles that have appeared in Business Insider, The Scientist, Stanford Technology Law Review, Oxford University Press, Biopharm International, Triangle Business Journal, WRAL Techwire, Nature Neuroscience, Nature Biotechnology, and Nature Reviews Neuroscience.
Selected Speaking Engagements and Teaching
- Adjunct professor of law at Wake Forest University School of Law (2005, 2018), Campbell University School of Law (2016, 2018), and UNC School of Law (2016).
- Invited speaker on a variety of legal and scientific topics for programs sponsored by the NC Bar Association, the American Health Lawyers Association, the Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO), Southeast BIO, Duke University School of Law, Vanderbilt University, University of California at San Francisco, Wake Forest University, and Stanford University.
Selected Board and Committee Service
- NC Bar Association: Co-Chair of the Biotech/Chemical Patent Committee (2014–2018).
- Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO): Member of BIO's IP Counsel's Committee (2003–2009); chair of panels on patent legislation for BIO conventions (2003–2007), including members of the intellectual property subcommittee of the U.S. House of Representatives.
- Southeast BIO: Member of the Board of Directors (2006–2009).
- Business North Carolina's “Legal Elite” for Intellectual Property (2015).
- Distinguished Guest and Speaker, Wake Forest University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Hooding and Awards Ceremony (2015).
United States Patent & Trademark Office (Since 2001; Reg. No. 47,549).
North Carolina Bar (Since 2002; Bar No. 28,513).
United States Supreme Court (Since 2019).